Friday, April 10, 2009

Washington Field

CBS – Pilot
April 6 -9, 2009


Just finished working four days on this pilot for CBS TV. I received a call about reserving the four days over a week before the booking. Sunday night, I called the line and discovered that the location for the shoot is in Irvine. For those not wanting to look at a map, Irvine is 50 miles south of Los Angeles (where I live). 100 miles (actually 101.6 miles) round trip. Add early morning calls, and later release times, and I didn't get much sleep over the four days.

When I drove up to the location, the Background handler was sitting on a curb gathering some of the background as they came in and keeping us quiet as they were filming outside and not far from the parking lot. I was very pleased to see Jason Gutierrez, who is the BG handler/booker/PA on “24” which I've worked for two seasons. Turns out Jason asked for me, which was nice to say the least. It also looks like I could be called back on next season of “24”, as he will be back there himself.

I got quite the surprise when I found out that most of the crew of “24” were also crewing this pilot. The Director, 1st AD, 2nd AD, wardrobe, hair, make-up, camera operators, grips, and nearly everyone else including Bruce's Catering and many of the background actors. It was nice walking onto a set I've never worked before, but where so many people knew me.

There were clear reminders that the production company doing this pilot had connections to “24” and 20th Century Fox. The set is populated with “fake” paperwork (in some cases clearly public documents from city hall or a business now defunct) and this paperwork is then used as props for handing off from one background to another, or shuffling about and such. Here are some examples of what was on some of the forms:

  • Finger Prints check: One Kristopher Kringle, no criminal record.
  • A report of the death of Kristopher Kringle (previous to finger print I.D. known as John Doe) signed by agent in-charge, S Booth (of “Bones” on Fox).
  • The typed confession of Joe Addy (aka Zack, also of “Bones”) of serial killings.
  • And on one sign on the side of one of the cubicles, a note saying, “Softball sign up – See Keifer”.

In the first scene shot, I was put at the desk that is just left of the front center of the set, where most of the action takes place. This established me in an oft seen location. During one scene, I was told to leave my desk and walk up to the center of the set where I would exchange words with one of the actors (a young man named Adam Jamal Craig, a day player/actor who could have a decent break if this goes to television). Adam plays Dean, whose job is to operate the computer with the large three touch screens. Now those were just back screen projections cued by Adams actions and operated by a man just off camera. On the other hand, the real Microsoft touch screen table top computer, called the Microsoft Surface (costing about 5 to 10 thousand dollars) was very real. Adam was having great fun playing with the real computer while pretending to do many of the same functions on the Hollywood make believe version that takes up most of that set piece.

There was only one of the actors I've worked with before and that was Gina Torres (of Firefly/Serinity and Standoff). I worked with Gina on Standoff (no longer airing) and got the chance to talk to her and tell her that. At the top of one of the scenes, the Director placed her at my station, and had us talking until her cue to move up to the raised set piece and begin her action with the other actors. She introduced herself, (as if I would need such an introduction from her) and we had a chance to chat briefly before spending the next hour working together. During one of the takes, the Director did one of those really slow actions, where he kind of drags it out. “Aaaaaannnnnnnnddddddd...................action.” While waiting for him to start, I began my first move, which was to circle a spot on the top of the form I was holding and “showing” to Gina. I continued to circle the same spot waiting for “action”. After about 5 seconds, Gina said under her breath, “nice windup”, causing us both to laugh, and of course, that was when the Director said, “action”. Tough morning having to work so closely with someone so talented and attractive. This job can be so difficult sometimes.

All in all, a good four days, and nice to be working again. Oh, and “The Suite Life on Deck” had called me back too, so work is starting to pop up again. Yeah.

1 comment:

Adam J. Craig said...

Love the blog.. Keep It up!

-Adam J. Craig