Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Head Cases


August 29, 2005
Episode: In the Club
Location - 20th Century Fox

20th Century Fox Studios is tricky to get in to. Most of the cars wanting to enter the studio seem to be coming from the south, and thus need to turn left and cross the south bound lanes to pull into the lot. Because all of the background actors need to be checked in, the speed of traffic that goes through that gate is glacial. South bound traffic ends up blocked by folks who don't want to lose their place in line. Once on the lot, finding the Stage I was supposed to go to was an exercise in, well, exercise. I walked to the wrong end of the studio before realizing that I was lost. Asking for directions sent me to the right location only a stones throw from where I parked.

This, of course, was my first time on the 20th Century Fox lot and I was able to stop by the Studio store and buy a 20th Century Fox pin to go along with my WB Pin. I am building a collection. I have a looong way to go.

This was also the first time I was working in a "real" Stage, like the ones you see in the movies or in T.V. shows with the big doors and the flashing red lights and the bells to tell the world that it is time to be quiet while we film. One long bell ring for "be quiet" and the outside red flashing lights go on at all the doors to warn people not to enter. Two quick bells tell everyone it is ok to continue with whatever you were doing, and the flashing red lights go off. As big and well padded as these buildings are, sound may not get in from outside, but it can and will be picked up on set during filming if it occurs inside the studio. During one take, the director hollered cut only a few seconds into action to yell out, "I Can Hear You Walking", to whoever was ignoring the bell and padding through the paths between sets.

On this stage, the background holding area was right behind the set, and all that stood between the cameras and us were the ply-wood walls that made up the courtroom. While doing one scene in the courtroom, I noticed how easy it is to forget your on a set. We were surrounded by 4 walls, with jury seating and the judges bench and the seating area for court watchers, and I had become so focused on what was happening, that when I looked up and noticed the lack of ceiling, I was a little surprised. To avoid a surprise of another kind, the background was warned that during the courtroom shot, we would be seeing the "Vaseline" guy. This is a featured background actor, who had Vaseline spread all over his body, and owing to the strategically timed dropping of his pants, was able to prove the fact. If you catch this episode, the line you probably won't hear is, "Is that a persimmon, or are you happy to see me?". The actor giving that line went through so many permutations of it, that I have no clue what one will make it to the final cut.

No comments: